Sunday, January 6, 2013

Epiphany

A year ago today we visited the doctor and got the news that my mom had another year or year and a half with us. That day a year ago truly felt like an epiphany – suddenly realizing that I had more time with my mom. And this year has truly been a beautiful year, as I’ve spent time, so many sacred moments, with my family.

But this New Year, this Epiphany, feels a little less joyous, a little less promising. Instead of new beginnings, I’m anticipating endings. Most likely my mom will die this year, and that makes this year feel really heavy – I can’t even begin to fathom what that will be like.

Maybe that’s why I need this day of Epiphany more than ever – this day that commemorates Jesus being revealed to the Magi, the non-Jewish visitors from the east. This day that reminds me who Jesus really is – that Jesus came, that Jesus lived, and that Jesus replaced death with life.

This year I need to be reminded that life overcame death, that light overcame darkness. That life continues to overcome death, and light keeps overcoming darkness. That is my promise for this year, on this day of Epiphany. That’s the small flicker of hope that keeps me going when everything else is dark.

1 comment:

  1. Katye, all of you are in my prayers and the prayers of my church continually. I do understand what it is like to lose your Mom but cannot imagine the circumstances that you are going through. You handle it with grace though, I see a lot of both your Mom & Dad in you. Yes life overcame death, light keeps overcoming the darkness and there is hope. A scripture I heard a few weeks ago in church touched my heart about your Mom and gave me the hope I needed about her: "I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints. " Ephesians 1:18

    Now I had read this before but hadn't grasped it's meaning until a few weeks ago... as much as we look forward to eternal life with Him, He looks forward even more for eternal life with us!!! He is looking forward to His inheritance with us!!

    I hope this all doesn't sound trite, I know that possibly scripture may not be what you want to hear right now but I just wanted to share the hope and comfort it brought to me. I love you! Aunt Paula

    ReplyDelete