Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Alert

One of the hardest things about sitting with my mom is not knowing when she really gets it or not.

Sometimes she’s alert, and she can respond to what we’re saying, with head nods, hand squeezes and mom looks (yes, she still has the mom look, even with a stroke). She’s even started sticking out her tongue, which is fun to incite.

But sometimes she looks alert, she seems to be tracking, and then we ask her a question, and she doesn’t respond. We ask again, no response. And again, and again. I bet she finds us pretty annoying.

And then we worry. Is she in pain? Is she tired? Is she thinking too much about the cancer? Is she going backwards in her improvement? Will she ever talk again?

I just wish I knew what she was thinking. I just wish I knew how much of what we say really gets through. I just wish I could have a real conversation with my mom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment