Saturday, December 24, 2011

Thrifting

A few days ago I walked into an Old Navy.

I haven’t set foot in an Old Navy for six months. Not because I’m boycotting Old Navy specifically, but because in July I decided to only buy thrifted clothing for a year. No new clothes for a year (except for things like underwear, or socks. I will never buy thrifted underwear, that’s just gross), and as little new other stuff as possible.

As I walked around the Old Navy, I realized that I could basically buy anything with very little effort – no searching racks and racks of unorganized jeans, old lady shirts, or 80’s dresses. But I could also buy anything with very little gratification – no discovering hidden gems amid the 80’s dresses, or getting excited about getting a designer pair of jeans for seven dollars.

After my six months of thrifting, shopping at big, regular stores is just too easy. It makes me wonder if shopping for clothes really should be that easy. I like the mystery, the wonder, the effort it takes to thrift. It’s an investment, but it keeps me from buying clothes too easily, which is a good discipline.

How does this connect to my mom? I thrifted her a Ralph Polo Jeans sweater for Christmas. BAM! Connection.

1 comment:

  1. Christine would be so proud! :D I have gotten so heavy (which I plan to change) that I typically can't find anything in thrift stores. But, I always loved the hunt.

    ReplyDelete