Sunday, April 29, 2012

Photo Albums

This afternoon I got to look through some old photo albums with my mom.

I didn’t mean for the albums I picked to be the albums focused on me – I was really looking for pictures of my sister. But I just grabbed the first albums in the box, and mom wanted to look through them anyway. So we sat next to each other, flipping though adorable baby and toddler photos of me.

Adorable pictures like this one :)

Now, I know my mom loves me. But it’s a whole ‘nother thing to see my mom diligently going through the albums – taking time on each picture, cherishing the beautiful moments that were captured on film, pointing out her favorite pictures, talking about how I’m cute in every photo because I’m just so beautiful. What would have just been an ordinary afternoon with my mom turned into something sacred. And thinking back over this afternoon I realize that I’m so lucky to have a mom who loves me so much, and who has gotten to see me grow up from the little girl that I was to the woman I am now. I’m so lucky that I got to sit with her and feel her pleasure and love as she flipped through those album pages. I’m so lucky I happened to pick up the Katye-centered albums, and got to spend an hour looking through them with my mom.

We might not have time for everything we want to do together. And there are some key mother-daughter moments we will never share. But this afternoon of looking through my photos together was one of the most precious moments we’ve had.

4 comments:

  1. I totally remember that bathing suit! You were so adorable!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, of course, are an incredibly beautiful woman now! (Just in case I haven't made that clear)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you got to have this experience :) And thanks for sharing. -Ellen

    ReplyDelete