Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A gift, maybe

As for inflicting our sorrow on other people, one does not want to go around blathering and crying all the time. But perhaps it is our gift to others to trust them enough to share our feelings with them. It may help them deal with some of their own.  
                 --- Martha Whitmore Hickman
I worry sometimes that this blog is too personal. I wonder if adding new entries and posting links for some of them to Facebook is me just being narcissistic. I get uncomfortable when the tears just keep leaking when I’m with other people, even if I don’t want them to. And to some extent these concerns are valid – this blog is really personal, and Facebook can turn narcissistic real fast, and other people feel uncomfortable around me when I cry.

But maybe that is my gift. Maybe that’s why I’m that crazy emotional person who cries when she’s happy, when she’s sad, and anywhere in between. Maybe my vulnerability, my arm-on-my-sleeve nature is something blesses my friends, family, acquaintances, and random people on the internet.

And maybe, just maybe, if I’m lucky, this blog won’t just be cathartic for me (which it is). Maybe it will also help others deal with their crazy, uncomfortable and vulnerable emotions too.

2 comments:

  1. You've often written things that resonate with my experience, and for that, I'm grateful. Please stay just as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your journey - it IS very personal. I hope that it has helped you. I know it has helped me - you've let me connect with Susan and her journey in a unique way. I am sad but I think about the great joy she and her mother and sister will share soon. You are truly blessed by the faith and love that you share with your family. I have been blessed and inspired by what you have shared. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete