Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Gallows Humor

I’m feeling pretty morbid nowadays. So dark comedy really speaks to me. From the well timed dead baby joke to Seth MacFarlane’s quip at the Oscars that “the actor who got most inside Lincoln's head was John Wilkes Booth” (cue boos from the crowd and laughter from me), I’m really jiving with the completely un-PC nature of dark humor.

I try to hold back when I’m in mixed company, but it can be difficult. I’ve been so tempted to say, “I’m giving up my mom for Lent” whenever people ask me what I’m giving up this year. I also help up a sparkly black cocktail dress at the thrift store and asked my friend if it would be inappropriate for a funeral – it certainly wasn’t haha funny, but I chuckled.

So I apologize in advance if I make a somewhat inappropriate joke. And if you have a joke you’re thinking of telling me, and it leans toward the morbid, definitely tell it – I’ll probably crack up.

1 comment:

  1. I'm laughing with you! Isn't it true that many professional comedians had crappy childhoods? I think it can be a wonderful way of coping... better than many other coping mechanisms. :)

    ReplyDelete