Friday, March 2, 2012

Voice

I called my parents home phone today, but no one was home. It went to voicemail, and so I waited to hear my dad voice say, “You’ve reached the voicemail of Jim and Susan Crawford,” or something like that.

Instead I heard my mom’s voice.

It’s the first time I’ve heard my mom’s voice, her real voice, her non-stroke voice, in six months.

It wasn’t saying much. Something along the lines of “This is the home of Susan and Jim Crawford, and also Susan Crawford’s Mary Kay business. Please leave a message. Thank you. Bye.”

But it came so unexpectedly, hearing my mom’s voice. It was a shock, a jolt from the past. Her voice now just sounds so different, and is so determined by her stroke, it’s like a whole different person.

A part of me wants to change the message, so people don’t get confused. I don’t want people to think she’s miraculously gotten better, or that she still sells Mary Kay. But a part of me wants to leave it up forever, so I can always call my parent’s phone and hear my mom’s voice, whenever I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment