Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Comfort in weeping

Today was a really hard day. I had a bad night of sleep. Therapy was hard - all my anxiety about the future (a topic I have been avoiding since I've been immersed in the present) came with a vengeance and without resolution. I cried my eyes out and got snot on my shirt both in my therapist's office and on the car ride home. I was feeling exhausted, but oddly peaceful. I couldn't really figure out why, until I read this quote:

"Those who grieve find comfort in weeping and in arousing their sorrow until the body is too tired to bear the inner emotions."  

- Maimonides, as quoted in "Healing After Loss" by Martha Whitmore Hickman

That's what happened today. I was emotioned out. I was anesthetized to anything else. 

And you know what? It felt really good. Well worth all the excess snot. 


1 comment: