Sunday, October 2, 2011

Choices

This weekend, I chose to stay in Oakland and have fun instead of going to visit my mom for the weekend. Not that hanging out with my mom isn’t fun – it is. But it’s a different type of fun. This weekend I chose to hang out with friends, and drink good beer, and just do fun, Oakland-y things.

It was a hard decision. And I felt very torn this whole weekend – a part of me wanting to be with my mom, and the other (and overriding part of me) really glad to be staying in Oakland. It was a good decision, and a super fun one, but still hard. It’s hard to choose to care for myself and choose my own enjoyment over caring for my mom.

It was a really fun weekend. (Have you gotten it by now that it was a really fun weekend? Can I say fun a few more times in this post?). On Friday I chilled with friends. On Saturday I went with a friend to Oaktoberfest, and tried tasty homebrews and local beers, watched some street dancers, listened to some Zydeco music, and ate some brats. And people watched – I saw so many different faces of Oakland all in one place. And then Reuben sandwiches and pumpkin pie back at home with roomies and friends.

I’m glad I decided to stay in Oakland. I really had a super fun weekend. (Thanks friends who made it so fun!) I think I needed the break, and I needed the chance to just chill with friends. And I still got to hang out with my mom today for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment