Sunday, October 9, 2011

Gentle

I’m at a prayer retreat with my Servant Partners internship this weekend, and we did a Lectio Divina on Matthew 11:28 – 30:
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light”
The word that stuck out to me was the word “gentle.” And after sitting with and asking Jesus about it, I know why: because all this stuff with my mom is anything but gentle.

In fact, all that has happened so far has been really, really violent. The stroke itself was violent, the news of the cancer was violent, and on an on and on. Nothing has come up slowly, or quietly, or easily. It has all come quickly, screaming at us, attacking us with its ugliness.

My soul feels mutilated. My soul feels like its been bruised, and stabbed, and broken. My soul has suffered a lot of trauma.

And so I need the gentleness of Jesus. I need his gentle presence, counteracting and overcoming the mutilation, the trauma, the violence. And I need to be gentle to myself, and find people who will be gentle with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment