Monday, November 28, 2011

Thankful

This year I’m thankful for…

Food. Glorious food. Especially bacon. Especially bacon wrapped around pork. I mean, how can you go wrong? Pig and pig? It’s just meant to be. But seriously, folks, I’m thankful for scrumptious food. And for the fact that my sister and I are actually pretty great cooks. Her pork was amazing, my piecrust and homemade French bread was divine. Oh, and the boxed Annie's mac and cheese I'm eating right now is super tasty. And you thought I had a refined palate...

Television and children’s books. The stories that keep me laughing, crying, and laughing again. The stories I can get lost in. Comfort shows, comfort books, the characters I know better than real people sometimes. That whole other world I can get lost in.

A car. It’s much nicer to drive than it is to bike from Oakland to San Jose. The freedom it gives me to visit my mom is truly a gift.

My roommates, both current and past. These women keep me sane, and get to see the good, the bad, and they ugly of my life. Without them I’d lose it – they really are my rocks.

My friends and community. I have the best support system I could ever dream of. And they’re hilarious – who else would appreciate the Muppets, or the new version of Footloose, or my need to be ridiculous, and get Frosty’s after a long meeting?

My family. And boy, do we decorate a house for Christmas! It’s always good when we’re together.

But mostly, I’m thankful for my mom. I’m thankful for the fact that she’s still with us this Thanksgiving. More than anything else, I’m thankful that I get to be with her, for as long as we have together.

No comments:

Post a Comment