Thursday, September 8, 2011

Cancer Sucks

Cancer sucks.

Cancer runs in my family. Breast cancer especially. My great-aunt, my grandma, my aunt, and my mom all had breast cancer. My aunt died of breast cancer that spread to her bones, a week before I was born. For me, cancer means getting mammograms and wondering who’s next.

But cancer hasn’t only hit my mom’s side of the family. On my dad’s side, my grandma died of colon cancer, and my grandpa died of lung cancer. Even my step-grandma (the lovely woman my grandpa married after my grandma’s death) has cancer – breast cancer.

And my apartment, well, we call ourselves the Library, but sometimes we wonder if we should call ourselves the Cancer Corner. We all have immediate family members who have cancer.

If cancer was a person, I’d punch it in the face. Or dropkick it. Since it’s a disease, all I can say is…

Cancer sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment