Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Name

I’m on a work trip in Wisconsin this week, so I won’t be visiting the hospital to see my mom. Even though she really wants me to go off, and have fun this week, I can’t help myself – I need to call at least once a day, just to check in. Even though she doesn’t want me to worry, I think she likes it when I call.

I called my dad last night, and talked to him for awhile, and then had him pass the phone to my mom. We talked for a little bit – she gets clearer every day. This morning when I woke up I realized that last night on the phone, my mom said my name. For the first time since the stroke. My mom said my name.

My name is a little harder to say. Hard consonants, hard vowels. Even though its only two syllables, it takes a lot of effort to get your mouth around. So I wasn’t offended. (How could I be, when she was talking at all? Anything she said was amazing!)

But now my mom can call me by my name. And that is just beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment