Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Good Month

Last Monday marked a month since my mom first had her stroke. I said to one of my friends that day “it’s a month today,” and she said “yes, but its been a good month.”

And it has. It has been a good month. It’s been an insane, unbelievable, life-altering month. But it has also been so good.

My mom went from possibly being a vegetable to being home, talking, able to move her right leg a bit, not needing a catheter, and eating real food. She went from understanding us only some of the time and sleeping most of the day to understanding us almost all the time and needing more to do during the day. And over this past month I’ve laughed more with my mom, shared more stories with my mom, and spent more time with my mom than I have in awhile.

And I’ve seen, maybe for the first time, how other people see my mom – how much they love her, how much she has made a quiet (and somewhat sassy!) impact on their lives, how she has loved people in her own way.

So yes, it’s been a good month. So far the hardest month of my life, but still good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment