Friday, September 2, 2011

The Laugh

Today I heard my mom laugh. Yes, that’s right folks, I HEARD her laugh. Once more for emphasis: I heard her laugh.

She doesn’t vocalize every time she laughs, but she’s starting to. Every so often, when she’s making one of her faces, or moving her mouth, she’ll make a sound. I think I may have even heard her say “ooh” after we said something ridiculous.

She also sat up in a wheelchair today, without needing any neck support. So that’s good.

And she convinced my dad to sneak her some water (she still can’t swallow consistently, so she’s not supposed to have water, or even ice chips).  My dad said she had been drinking sips of it pretty well until I got there. The few times she tried it while I was there, she started to cough, so no more water for her. We don’t want her to aspirate (get liquid in her lungs, and then possibly get pneumonia). Though I’m sure her throat is super dry, she’ll just have to wait until it’s safe. She’s a little resistant, but I think my dad convinced her.

And tonight, when I said goodnight, she kissed me on the cheek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment