Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Therapy

Therapy rocks.

And no, I don’t mean physical, occupational, or speech therapy. I mean the counseling type of therapy. The go see a therapist once a week and talk about life kind of therapy.

I started going to therapy this past December, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I went initially to work through some of stuff I had never dealt with when it comes to my dad and his disability and chronic pain.

But I feel that with therapy, more stuff always comes up. So I also dealt with other losses that I’d never fully processed, and lies I had been believing about myself and about God. I slowly became (and I’m still becoming) who the Lord made me to be – I’ve started to find my identity.

Maybe I would have dealt with all my ish and become more me without therapy, but I kinda doubt it.

I know for sure that without therapy, I would be doing so much worse through all this stuff with my mom. One of my best friends said to me the other day “you’re handling this all much better than I expected you to,” and she was right. And the only reason, other than God’s grace, is therapy.

Sometimes I imagine how I would be handling all this with my mom if I hadn’t started going to therapy. I think I might either be (a) pretending it wasn’t happening, and living in denial (not a healthy response) or, (b) hiding in my room crying all the time (also not a healthy response). I know for sure that I wouldn’t feel comfortable enough to write this blog, or to ask my friends to help me pray, or to be in any way vulnerable with anyone else.

So, basically, therapy rocks.

And if you’re looking for a therapist in the East Bay, I know a really great one!

1 comment:

  1. glad to hear the therapy is totally awesome and helping! id love a recommendation for one in the east bay!

    ReplyDelete