Monday, September 5, 2011

Communion

Yesterday I went to church, and we took communion. I took the bread, and as I was dipping it in the juice, the communion steward said, “Katye, this is Jesus blood, shed for you.” It was said so tenderly and with such love that I realized that it really was – Jesus’ blood, shed for me.

For me. Not just for us as a church, as a people of God. But for me.

And Jesus loves me. He loves me. I am his beloved. His body and his blood, they are the best reminder of his sacrifice of love for me.

I guess I really, really needed to hear that, to know that again. It’s not that I didn’t know that in my head, or that I ever really doubted it, but I think somewhere in my soul I wondered – with all this happening, all this crappiness, am I really loved? Or has he abandoned me?

But yesterday, through communion, I knew again: I am loved.

And every week, through communion, I can know again: I am loved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment